Stats:

Money PURGE earned for myself: $41.46
Money PURGE Helped Raise for a Well in Liberia: $1501.00







Friday, November 5, 2010

The Challenge to Live Simply with a New Addition

My daughter, Mei, was born in the middle October, and I've been maternity leave from PURGE since then.  Hee-hee.  J/K.  I've still been setting aside items to get rid of, but just haven't quite gotten them out of the house yet. 

With our new addition to the family comes a LOT of things in the house that will eventually need to be PURGEd again: clothes, play gym, co-sleeper, carseat, etc.  In fact, part of what is already set aside to PURGE soon is some of her freebies from the hospital and stuff she's already outgrown.  

Despite all the stuff that coming into the house for our baby girl, we're still committed to living simply.  We've bought very few things brand new for her if any.  We got a lot of hand-me-downs from friends and freebies from freecycle, which got us mostly covered.  The few things that I did buy, I got from consignment, garage sales and craigslist.  Getting used items instead of buying them new helps lessen our impact on the environment.

We still need a crib mattress and  we prefer to not get a used one, so we are looking into new organic ones.  Too bad all are several hundred dollars (eeep!), which is why we still haven't gotten one yet.  We've got our eye on the Pebble Mattress by Nook.  It would last her for years and should also last for her kids.  Now if that's not green, I dunno what it.  But is that worth $500 green ones?  I love this dad's review of it, especially when he calls it "nanorganic!"

No comments:

Post a Comment